Reporting Problems on the River

Call the Environment Agency incident hotline to report:

  • damage or danger to the natural environment
  • pollution to water or land
  • poaching or illegal fishing
  • dead fish or fish gasping for air
  • main rivers blocked by a vehicle or fallen tree causing risk of flooding
  • flooding from any river, stream, canal/channel, or natural spring
  • incidents at Environment Agency-regulated waste sites
  • illegal removals from watercourses
  • unusual changes in river flow
  • collapsed or badly damaged river or canal banks
Agency Incident hotline: 0800 80 70 60

Report waste crimes:

You can report waste crime, such as dumping waste into rivers or on river banks to Crimestoppers anonymously
Report crime online Telephone: 0800 555 111

Bursts, leaks, and breaches:

  • Burst water mains or sewers...
    Water service is provided by South East Water.
    Sewerage service is provided by Thames Water.
  • Damage to river banks...
    Riparian owners are responsible for maintaining the river bed and banks within their section of the watercourse. It is their duty to work towards minimising pollution and preventing obstruction to the water flow.

Non Native Species:

Check with the Non Native Species Secretariat for guidance

The River Wey Trust can usually give some guidance on what to do about problems or issues around the river, but - except for the two areas where we own the land adjacent - we have no powers to address any issues.

The Trust is active in oversight of planning and development proposals impacting the river catchment area, working with District and Local Council planning officers. We also monitor the Conservation Area which runs from the Pophole Mill site at Hammer to Headley Mill.

The River Wey Trust: F